What are sowbugs?
Sowbugs are technically crustaceans that are specially adapted to living on land. They are about a centimeter long, have seven legs and two small appendages resembling tails. Sowbugs are sometime called also called woodlouse (or you may also know them as the "armadillo bug") and unlike their cousin the pillbug, do not roll into little balls. Sowbugs are a pest that serves the vital ecological role of composting organic matter.
Sowbugs themselves are not naturally dangerous or even damaging (as they do not bite or sting). That said, they are usually never seen as a welcome guest within most homes. However, it is worth noting that if you do begin to find them within your home it is quite likely there is a much larger population outside.
When should I worry about sowbugs?
Unlike some pests, Sowbugs are not necessarily confined to a particular season. In fact, they prefer being outside and hiding in dark, damp places. Most homes are likely to be to warm for sowbugs, as they prefer more moist cold environments. That noted, you are most likely to find sowbugs in the evening and at night when the weather has cooled off.
How Do I Know if I Have an Infestation?
Finding them indoors. Sowbugs rarely enter homes intentionally. If you are continuously finding the bug in your house, there’s a good chance that there are entry points within your home or that your home is inviting to the pests for one reason or another.
It's important to note that while sowbugs themselves are not necessarily dangerous, discovering them within your home can be a sign that more damaging pests have also found their way inside your home.
Are there any prevention techniques?
Ways to keep them out of your home.
- Proper yard maintenance. Removing leaf litter, mulch and other decomposing vegetation from the sides of your house should prevent them from entering your home.
- Create a physical barrier. For most pests we recommend the construction of a physical protective barrier between your home and the garden. This physical barrier should be a space between your home and business that is free of mulch and leaves. It's important to keep plants trimmed back from your walls, and to keep these zones from becoming damp and shady which can invite not only sowbugs but other pests to hang out.
- Reduce moisture. Sowbugs in particular are drawn to moisture in shady cool environments. Waterproofing your home in key areas such as the basement is recommended but also making sure there is proper ventilation as well as dehumidifiers can work to reduce moisture.
There are additional tips for reduce sowbugs within your garden that consist of watering in the mornings to encourage the water to soak into plants throughout the warm day, in addition to making sure to store organic matter in sealed containers.
When to call pest inspector?
While sowbugs will occasionally wander into homes, they are rarely a problem. Most homes are too warm and dry for them to survive more than 24 hours. If you are finding more than the occasional lost sowbug in your house, call the pest inspector. It could be a sign that there is something more serious going on and that there is likely gaps within your home that may invite other pests to enter in.
If you begin to find sowbugs regularly within your home, we recommend contacting a pest inspector who can help you isolate entry points within your home, to keep not only the sowbugs outside but also more damaging pests like termites and cockroaches.
What is our treatment?
At Humboldt Pest, we provide a variety of solutions that will take care of the problem, no matter how big or small. We’ll following these simple steps to give the best protection and peace of mind.
- Step 1: Identification – Our professional team can help you locate the source of the sowbug infestation and provide you the best options of addressing it that do not rely on dangerous chemicals.
- Step 2: Eradication – Our technicians are trained to dispose of the sowbug problem with top-of-the-line products applied safely to protect your family, small children and furry beloved pets.
- Step 3: Ongoing Prevention – Our customers are happiest when they know that their infestation has not only been removed but when they can also count on never seeing those pesky bugs again. We're proud to offer preventative pest protection to guard your home and business and give you the peace of mind you deserve. Regular care keeps those pests away for good.
Remember! We offer a warranty on all of our services. If the pests come back, so do we. No extra charge. We are confident that the service we provide will keep even the most determined sowbugs away. Rest easy. We're on the job.